Daily Management Review

GE to spin off GE Healthcare, get rid of Baker Hughes


06/26/2018


American multidisciplinary concern General Electric Co. (GE) will spin off its GE Healthcare business to a separate company, and also sell a stake in Baker Hughes, an oilfield services company with which GE previously consolidated its oil and gas business. This is reported by Reuters.



JefferyTurner
JefferyTurner
These changes are meant to reward shareholders and strengthen the balance of GE by reducing debt.

The 126-year-old company, once the most valuable US corporation, will separate the profitable unit of medical equipment within the next 12-18 months and sell its stake in Baker Hughes for two to three years.

The concern plans to sell about 20% of GE Healthcare, and distribute the remaining 80% of the division to its shareholders under a non-tax scheme.

"We are actively moving forward as a company focused on the aviation and energy sectors and renewable energy - these are three complementary businesses that are ready for future growth," said GE CEO John Flannery.

GE said it plans to cut its net debt by about $ 25 billion by 2020 and maintain a cash balance of over $ 15 billion.

The company, which shares have fallen by more than 50% in the past 12 months, intends to maintain the current level of quarterly dividends before the separation of GE Healthcare.

GE said that its plan to sell assets for $ 20 billion was "basically completed," leaving a "simpler and stronger" company with plans to stimulate its growth, operating profit and shareholder returns.

On Monday, GE announced the sale of an industrial gas turbine unit to the private equity fund Advent International for $ 3.25 billion.

Earlier, it was decided to exclude shares of General Electric from the Dow Jones Industrial Average due to excessive reduction in their value and a drop in their weight in the index below the allowed values.

The stock index provider S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC said that the DJIA will include shares of the largest pharmacy chain in the US Walgreens Boots Alliance instead of General Electric since June 26.

source: bloomberg.com






Science & Technology

Nestle's Head: Veggie meat is new megatrend

Huawei may introduce Android replacement in August

Are US high-tech investors causing brain drain in Europe?

'Russia's Google' Yandex Was Hacked By Western Intelligence For Spying: Reuters

Reuters: Chinese hackers were stealing data from IT giants for years

China's first solar power molten salt plant sets record

WSJ announces imminent start of Boeing 737 MAX flight tests

Study: Machine learning is five times more harmful for the environment than a car

Would Singapore Be The First One To Bring Lab Grown Shrimps To The Global Market?

Apple Patents A ‘Foldable Screen’ For Creating Foldable iPhones

World Politics

World & Politics

France announces new tax for air fares

Europe Concerned Over Iran Move To Breach Uranium Enrichment Cap

Singapore To Build ‘$296 Million’ Smart Next-Gen Army Training Centre

No More Sales Of E-Cigarettes In San Francisco?

US ‘Hell-Bent On Hostile Acts’ Even After Trump-Kim Agreement, Says North Korea

Italy avoids EU sanctions for high national debt

Trump allocates 4.6 bln to help migrants

Iran Says Trump’s Belief That US-Iran War Would Be Short Is “An Illusion”