Daily Management Review

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries ordered to pay compensation to victims of forced labor in the World War II


11/29/2018


The South Korean Supreme Court upheld the appeals court decisions in two lawsuits filed against South Korean Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The lawsuits demanded that the company compensate forced labor during the World War II.



Steven Beger Photography  via flickr
Steven Beger Photography via flickr
“We respect the court decision, and we will try to heal the wounds of victims of forced labor,” said a spokesman for the South Korean Foreign Ministry, quoted by YTN television.

According to the decision of the Supreme Court, each of four former workers and a relative of one of the victims of forced labor should receive 100-150 million won ($ 89-133 thousand) each. Payments for the second lawsuit from six former employees amount to 80 million won each.

The decision of the South Korean court was expected. In late October, a similar court decision was made for the suit of former employees of another Japanese company, Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp. The court awarded four claimants compensation in the amount of $ 88.7 thousand each.

Japanese Foreign Minister Tarō Kōno decisively refused to accept the decision of the South Korean court, pointing out that the agreement between Tokyo and Seoul of 1965 had already settled the issue of reparations of the Japanese side relating to the period 1910-1945, when Korea was a colony of Japan.

Kōno also said that the verdict of the Supreme Court of South Korea is a violation of international law and that Tokyo will take countermeasures, including appealing to international bodies.

In turn, Japanese Deputy Foreign Minister Takeo Akiba summoned the South Korean ambassador to express an official protest on this case, reports YTN.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of South Korea appealed to the Japanese authorities to calmly respond to the decision of the South Korean Supreme Court.

"It is a pity that the Japanese government continues to overreact to our judicial decision and calls for restraint," said a spokesman for the South Korean Foreign Ministry.

source: yonhapnews.co.kr






Science & Technology

Uber sues Los Angeles authorities over user data collection

Google Introduces New Coronavirus Website

WHO Warns That The Youth Are ‘Not Invincible' To The Novel Coronavirus

Chinese software company learns to recognize 95% of masked faces

World's largest retailer to use 5G for medical services

SpaceX Receives Approval To Create Research & Manufacturing Facility In Los Angeles

JPMorgan: Transition to e-money will be based on blockchain

Tesla In Advance Talks With CATL For Using Lithium Batteries

Financial giants and US government turn to quantum computers

Long Way To Go For Coronavirus Vaccine, Say Drgumakers

World Politics

World & Politics

US Ambassador To UK Holds China Responsible For Global Spread Of Coronavirus

China to lift quarantine in Wuhan on April 8

Canada, Australia refuse to send athletes to Olympics 2020

Plans For A Possible Delay Of Olympics Being Formulated By Tokyo Organizers: Reuters

Maduro says Venezuela will receive UN assistance to fight coronavirus

2 Million Masks For Coronavirus Crisis In Europe Donated By Jack Ma

National Emergency Declared In The US By Donald Trump Over Coronavirus

China: Coronavirus epidemic peak is over